Dr Aaron Wong
MBChB, MRCP (UK), Doctorate of Medicine (MD)
Primary Specialities: Cardiology and General Medicine
Special Clinical Interests
- Investigations and Management of complex Heart Failure
- Stress Echocardiography
- Transoesophageal Echocardiography
- Coronary angiography and assessment of cardiac haemodynamics.
- Heart Failure and Diabetes
- Cardiac and metabolic biomarkers.
- Endothelial Function
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing
Current NHS and/or university posts
- Consultant Cardiologist and General Physician, Princess of Wales Hospital
- Honorary Lecturer, University of Cardiff
Year of Qualification
University of Glasgow, 2001
- British Cardiovascular Society
- British Society of Echocardiography
- Royal College of Physician, London
- European Society of Heart Failure
Dr Wong qualified from University of Glasgow in 2001. He completed his medical rotations in various hospitals in Glasgow and completed his MRCP (UK) in 2004. He worked as a locum oncology registrar for 6 months before taking up a Cardiology Research Fellow post in University of Dundee. He was the principle investigator of a British Heart Foundation funded research project TAYSIDE trial (The Effects of Metformin on exercise capacity in insulin resistant chronic heart failure). His research topic was “Insulin Resistance, Chronic Heart Failure and potential treatment modalities”. He was also co-investigator of two international multicenter clinical trials. He completed his higher specialty training in cardiology and general medicine in Wales in 2014.
He has published several papers on insulin resistance and heart failure and presented on numerous occasions in local, national and international meetings.
He is currently the principle investigator of an international multicenter clinical trial in Princess of Wales Hospital examining the new heart failure drug- Entresto, in patients admitted with heart failure.